Homecoming is an exciting time filled with fun events like football games, dances, parades, and more. It’s a chance to come together as a school community and make memories. One of the most important parts of feeling your best for homecoming is your hairstyle. Your hair frames your face and sets the tone for your whole look.
5 Cute Homecoming Hairstyles
Homecoming hairstyle options abound! Give your locks an elegant yet feminine finish by styling a twisted ponytail. Simply spray texturizing spray over the locks, gather in low ponytail, twist, pin up pieces for a feminine and cute finish!
This intricate-looking updo is ideal for medium hair textures. By simply using three basic braids, this updo can provide you with an eye-catching crown fishtail hairstyle and curly bun that is sure to turn heads at homecoming night!
Sleek High Ponytail
A classic and timeless ponytail style will never go out of fashion, offering the ideal way to keep strands out of your face and away from your neck while still looking chic and glamorous.
No matter your style preference, this look will be flattering and smooth. To achieve an ideal ponytail that won't cause bumps and knots, start with clean hair – use L'Oreal Paris EverPure Sulfate-Free Simply Clean Shampoo and Conditioner with Essential Oil as a starting point for creating this style.
Once your strands are de-tangled, apply some hair gel to prevent frizz and flyaways. Use some hairspray if necessary to lock in your look; and add a few bobby pins around the base of your ponytail so as to hide its elastic and secure your strands for an elegant finish.
90s Curly Updo
The 1990s was a decade known for bold hair and boho fashion. Models like Cindy Crawford, Tyra Banks, and Claudia Schiffer famously styled their dark lengths into sleek high ponytails held together with scrunchies or ribbons for an elegant and sophisticated look appropriate for Homecoming events if combined with large earrings and an off-shoulder or sleeveless dress.
Switch up your classic ponytail for an edgier and feminine style with a twisted crown braid for an eye-catching twist. It is simple and fast to achieve this style on most hair lengths and textures; extra glamour comes from leaving some face-framing pieces loose for added softness and femininity.
For long tresses with natural curls, try creating a textured updo using sea salt spray or styling mist for texture, and then twisting and pinning with bobby pins to show them off.
Textured Short Hair
Short styles make it easy to experiment and express your individuality through creativity and expression. From pompadours and quiffs to pompadours and slick backs, there is an array of styling products available to help achieve any look imaginable – pomades/gels for glossy finishes while waxes or clay for more texturized styles are just some options to get you styling what's your ideal.
A great haircut can also enhance your natural texture, such as this layered shaggy pixie with long, side-swept bangs that brings playful energy and emphasizes natural curves.
Create an eye-catching style to suit your personal flair by adding temporary or permanent streaks of color to your pixie cut. Choose pastel, shimmery hues, or bold brights for an eye-catching style that showcases who you are.
Trends come and go, but timeless looks like a smoky eye or beach waves remain timeless because they flatter everyone. Perfect for first date hair, day-to-night style or lowkey wedding waves; loose, tousled beachy waves provide the ideal finish.
To achieve the look, apply a small dollop of curl cream through each section and flat-twist them individually. After your hair has dried completely, comb through it gently to soften the defined individual curls into an overall flowing and cohesive style. Finish it off with a light mist of hairspray for extra shine!
Loose wave hair features loose, untight curls that make for an eye-catching fullness and can also last longer than other curly styles. Ideal for those seeking fuller appearances.
The twisted bun hairstyle is an easy, feminine way to add style and flair to any special event or day-of-work ensemble. Take just minutes to create this gorgeous up-do! Additionally, this look works well with various outfits; whether that means wearing lounge suit to the gym or formal gown on a night out – this style complements it all perfectly.
Twists were a prominent trend this season on the runways. At Badgley Mischka show, hair department lead Peter Gray used Oribe to craft retro-style twisted buns, while Alice & Olivia show hairstylist Nick Stenson added feminine twists by braiding hair strands before pinning into low twisted buns a la the Alice & Olivia show.
Chapter 1. Introduction
This comprehensive guide will explore various hairstyles perfect for any homecoming occasion. We’ll cover quick and easy everyday styles along with elegant updos and techniques for adding glamorous accents. You’ll find step-by-step tutorials, tips from stylists, and advice on choosing the look that shows off your personal style.
The Significance of Homecoming
Homecoming is a longstanding tradition at many high schools and colleges across the United States. The event usually takes place in the fall, bringing together current students, alumni, families, faculty, and more to celebrate school pride.
Centered around an athletic event like a football or soccer game, homecoming also includes spirit week, a parade, school dances, and other fun activities. It’s a reunion for past graduating classes to come back and partake in the festive atmosphere.
Why Homecoming Hairstyles Matter
While homecoming offers lots of opportunities to dress up, your hairstyle is one of the most visible parts of your look. All eyes will be on you as you cheer at the big game, ride on a float during the parade, or dance the night away.
The right hairstyle has the power to make you feel confident, beautiful, and ready to take on anything homecoming throws your way. When you look good, you feel good!
Getting Ready for the Grand Event
Planning your homecoming hair starts early. Look through magazines, websites, and social media to find inspiration. Schedule a hair trial with your stylist to test drive your desired look. Purchase any accessories, tools, or products you’ll need.
Make sure to consider your dress, makeup, accessories, and even nail style as you think about your hair. The overall goal is creating a cohesive, gorgeous look you feel amazing in!
Chapter 2. Homecoming Hairstyle Ideas: Looks for Every Occasion
Homecoming week is jam-packed with fun events that each call for a different hairstyle. You want a casual look for game day, something elegant for the dance, and easy everyday styles too. Here are some of our favorite hairstyles perfect for every homecoming occasion:
Half-Up Braids: A Picture-Perfect Choice
Half-up styles are ideal for homecoming parades and outdoor events. Pulling back just the top section keeps hair out of your face while still letting the rest flow freely.
Try a basic half ponytail or get creative with double dutch braids, fishtail plaits, or a braided crown. Add accessories like satin ribbons that match your parade float.
To recreate this style:
- Part clean, dry hair down the middle
- Brush back the top section neatly and split into three
- Begin a basic braid, adding in more hair as you go
- Secure elastic at the nape of your neck
- Hide elastic with ribbons threaded through the braid
- Finish by gently pulling at the braid for volume
Bouffant Ponytails: Glamorous and Quick
Amp up your go-to high ponytail with some volume at the crown for a fun and bouffant style. This is achieved by teasing or backcombing the hair at the crown area before gathering it into a ponytail.
The pouf ponytail pairs perfectly with the casual vibe of football games and pep rallies. Use some smoothing serum or pomade first to help slick back any flyaways for a polished finish.
Follow these steps to DIY the bouffant ponytail:
- Mist hair with volumizing spray or texturizing powder
- Use a tail comb to tease and backcomb the crown area
- Smooth over the teased section with a brush
- Gather all hair into a high ponytail and secure with an elastic
- Wrap a small piece of hair around the elastic to hide it
- Finish with strong hold hairspray
Crown Braids: A Super Cute Option
Braided hairstyles are very on trend, making them perfect for homecoming. Braided crowns and halo braids are especially gorgeous for those on homecoming court or looking to channel their inner princess.
Crown braids elegantly show off your braiding skills. Have your stylist incorporate ribbons, flowers, or jewels into the braid for added panache.
To braid your own crown at home:
- Part your dry hair down the center and brush smooth
- Section out a strand across the front hairline
- Begin a basic 3-strand braid following your hairline
- Continue braiding around the head, adding in more hair as you go
- Secure the ends together in the back with bobby pins
- Pancake the braid and finish with hairspray
Sleek Twisted Bun: Chic and Elegant
Sophisticated low buns are perfect for formal events like homecoming dances. To switch it up, leave out a front section like in this twisted bun style.
Create a deep side part and sweep the front section across the forehead. Twist it tightly and wrap into a knotted bun in the back secured with bobby pins.
Follow these tips to achieve this updo yourself:
- Blow dry hair silky smooth with a round brush
- Create a deep side part and leave out a 1-2 inch section in the front
- Twist the front section tightly and pin at the back of your head
- Pull all remaining hair into a low bun and secure with an elastic
- Wrap the twisted piece around the base of the bun
- Hide any pins and set with strong hold hairspray
Wavy Blowout: Royal Elegance
These bouncy, glamorous curls evoke old Hollywood. Large, loose waves add volume and elegance that pairs perfectly with homecoming gowns.
Achieve this style by curling 2 inch sections of hair away from your face with a curling iron or hot rollers. Leave the ends loose and tousle curls with your fingers for a relaxed, romantic vibe.
Here’s how to DIY these beautiful blowout waves:
- Apply a heat protectant spray before styling
- Part dry hair Deep side and brush through
- Working in sections, wrap hair around a 1 1⁄2 barrel curling iron
- Hold for 5 seconds then release, leaving ends loose
- Once cool, gently break up curls into loose waves
- Finish with a lightweight hair oil or serum for shine
Voluminous, Undone Chignon: Timeless Sophistication
This elegantly messy low bun is softened by loose pieces framing the face. It’s a modern, stylish take on the classic chignon.
Backcomb sections of hair before pulling into a loose, low bun to amp up the volume. Pull out strands in the front and tousle for an imperfectly perfect finish.
Tips for recreating this chic updo:
- Mist hair with texturizing spray and backcomb the under layers
- Gather hair into a loose bun at the nape of your neck
- Wrap hair around the bun and anchor with bobby pins
- Gently pull out pieces near your face and at the crown
- Seal the style with medium hold hairspray
High Bun: Classic and Stylish
You can’t go wrong with a basic high bun. It’s easy, quick, and keeps your hair up and out of your face – perfect for cheer squads or homecoming athletes.
Make it a bit more special by wrapping a few glossy strands around the bun’s base or tying agrosgrain ribbon through the elastic. Top it off with a girly bow or fun scrunchie.
Here’s how to easily DIY this bun:
- Mist dry hair with texture spray and tousle with fingers
- Pull all hair straight up into a top knot
- Wrap hair tightly around the initial elastic
- Secure any loose ends with bobby pins
- Hide elastic and add bow or ribbon as desired
- Set the style with firm hold hairspray
Chapter 3. Creating the Perfect Homecoming Look
The hair is just the start – completing your entire look takes more planning and preparation. Use these tips to ensure your hairstyle and overall style come together perfectly.
Preparing Your Hair
- Indulge in hydrating hair masks and deep conditioning treatments in the weeks before homecoming.
- Use volumizing mousse and texture spray to boost body and grip.
- Time your final wash so hair is fresh the day or night of homecoming.
Styling Tips and Tricks
- Apply product to dry hair before styling for best hold. Use heat protectant too.
- When teasing hair, mist it with texture spray first and use a tail comb.
- Glide pomade over the ponytail to minimize bumps and flyaways.
- Insert bobby pins horizontally into updos – this holds better than vertical pins.
Accessories that Shine
- Adorn braids and buns with hair jewels, fresh flowers, or silk ribbons.
- Affix a sparkling hair clip or barrette above one ear for timeless glamour.
- Weave glittery tinsel throughout your hairstyle for an eye-catching effect.
Complementing Your Dress
- Opt for loose, free-flowing hair to balance a bold dress with lots of embellishments.
- Show off an elegant neckline or back detail with a chic updo hairstyle.
- Pair short styles like a bob or pixie cut with longer dresses and gowns.
Chapter 4. DIY vs Professional Styling
Should you style your homecoming hair yourself or visit a salon? Consider the pros and cons of each option.
Pros of DIY Styling
- It’s more budget-friendly to do it yourself. Hair products and tools cost less than a stylist’s fees.
- DIY lets you take the time to practice styling techniques and achieve the look you want.
- Following online tutorials helps you learn new skills like braiding, curling, and teasing hair.
Cons of DIY Styling
- Complex formal updos can be extremely tricky to do on yourself.
- If things go wrong, you don’t have a pro there to fix it.
- You need patience and some natural styling skills.
Benefits of Professional Styling
- An experienced stylist knows exactly how to create a look that complements you.
- They have all the right products and professional-grade tools to make hair look flawless.
- Time at the salon is relaxing. You get pampered while someone else does the work!
- Professionals can add accents like hair jewels and accessories seamlessly into styles.
- Your hair will stay perfect all night without needing any touch-ups.
Chapter 5. FAQs
How Early Should I Plan My Homecoming Hairstyle?
It’s best to decide on your homecoming hairstyle 2-3 weeks in advance. This gives you time to scout inspiration, book any salon appointments, and do hair trials.
Order any accessories, like glitzy hair clips, ahead of time too so you have them in hand.
What Hairstyle Works Best for My Hair Type?
- Curly/thick hair – Opt for sleek updos like buns to show off texture. Adding braids also helps control unruly curls.
- Fine, flat hair – Give hair lots of volume with soft curls, waves or teasing at the crown.
- Frizzy hair – Use pomades and gels to smooth and define curls for a polished finish.
How Do I Ensure My Homecoming Hairstyle Lasts All Night?
- Have your stylist use long-holding hairspray to set the look. Avoid moving your head around a lot right after.
- Carry mini cans of texturizing spray and hairspray in your clutch for quick touch ups.
- Skip frequently checking your look in the mirror, as this can shift and disrupt the style.
- Opt for low-maintenance styles like a sleek ponytail if you’ll be dancing and moving around all night.
What Accessories Can Enhance My Look?
- Headbands, hair clips, pins, and jewels in your school colors
- Floral hair combs and barrettes that match your corsage
- Glitter hairspray to add some sparkle to your locks
- Simple satin ribbons weaved into braids or ponytails
Chapter 6. Conclusion
Recap of Hairstyle Options
From quick ponytails to intricate updos, the hairstyle possibilities for homecoming are endless. Match your hair to the formality of each event – casual for game day and elegant for dances.
Half-up styles, braided crowns, bouffant ponies, sleek buns, glamorous waves and basic top knots are all gorgeous options!
Choosing your dream homecoming hairstyle and taking good care of your locks leading up to the big events is key. Have fun trying on different looks during your trial run.
Add dazzling accessories if desired, but don’t overdo it. Ultimately, you want a style that makes you feel confident, beautiful, and ready to enjoy every magical homecoming moment.
Making Your Homecoming Unforgettable
Homecoming is a time to come together, celebrate school pride, reconnect with friends and alumni, and make memories that will last a lifetime. With so many special moments, from pre-game rallies to adorning the dance floor in your gorgeous gown, you want to look and feel your absolute best!
Formal events like homecoming are the perfect occasion to rock a stunning hairstyle that embodies your personal flair. By planning early, prepping your hair properly, and knowing your style options, you can find that perfect homecoming look that will turn heads and wow the crowd as you strut your stuff all weekend long. Let’s get you ready to dazzle this homecoming!